What is Mindfulness? Check out this video by Jon Kabbat-Zinn who is known as the founder of mindfulness-based stress reduction. He teaches mindfulness which helps people cope with stress, anxiety, and illnesses. In this video he gives a synopsis about what mindfulness is. Be sure to comment below about what you think about the video.
I mean who doesn’t go for a road trip every now and then? Healthiest snacks are essential when on the road. And who needs some of the healthiest snacks with them? I do! Matter fact I just went on one last week. I was so nervous about my eating habits and if I was able to drink as much water without stopping to go to the restroom. I found myself thinking so much about this that I had to tell you all about it.
I started to think about all my favorite foods I eat daily and how I could pack them up with me and turn them into the healthiest snacks I could think of. I also researched some other alternatives that wouldn’t require so much attention like the stove, microwave, grill, or broiler. I began to look around my house and I found a cooler which was a travel size one and wouldn’t take up much space in the car! I was happy because I could then take any refrigerated items. I knew I needed to be fueled up on protein, vegetables, and fruits to get me through the ride comfortably. I also thought that whatever I don’t eat I will have during my vacation (if I get sidetracked) and possibly be able to take some snacks on the road trip back home. Here is what I came up with; a list of the healthiest nutritious food to take on a road trip!
-Boiled eggs (you can buy these pre-boiled or boil them on your own in advance)
-Almonds, peanuts, cashews, etc.
-Justin’s almond butter (choose your favorite flavors out of many) [Honey and Vanilla are my favorite!]
-Fresh meats from the deli (turkey, ham, salami, jerky)
-Banana, apple, pear, orange, grapes (mainly any fruit here)
-Sliced cucumbers (put these in a ziplock bag)
-Celery sticks (put these in a ziplock bag)
To make this happen it will take prepping just as if you were prepping during the week for home cooked meals. It’ll make it easier if you have:
-Trash bag for your trash 🙂
Drinking water on trips is kind of difficult especially if you are riding with a lot of people like I was. But there are so many nutrients in drinking water you can’t resist. People will soon become aggravated with the number of restroom stops that may be required while drinking water. You can bring small pints of water bottles and also get your water through fruit. Once you are at a steady stop for at least a hour then you can indulge in your water and enjoy your vacation just how I did! I hope this helped everyone for their healthiest snacks list. If you think I can add anything else please comment below.
1. DayLight Savings: Get your sleep
-Most adults need about 7-8 hours of sleep. This is essential to your health because without those hours, you cannot perform the next day. This could mean being sluggish, sleepy, or not focused at school, the gym, your workplace, and/or keeping up with your children at home. I know for me I get really sluggish at work if I don’t sleep enough and my energy levels are very low. This month we will lose a hour of sleep which is going to be so hard for me. But save time and gradually go to sleep 30 minutes earlier and then you will not be so far behind!
2. Allergy Season
-I am pretty sure most of you have terrible allergies but you can try to fix this without the hassle! Try healthy foods that are anti-histamines. Histamines is a chemical found in some of the body cells and a part of our immune system that comes out around allergic reactions. Some foods are fruits, apples, garlic, parsley, tomatoes, broccoli, berries, lettuce, and wine 🙂
3. Start your spring cleaning early!
-This way you are more prepared. The more prepared the better right?
- Begin with one section of your house rather then craming
- Change air filters: It will prevent those allergies I spoke about (can be found at Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, etc.
- Throw away anything that is not beneficial to this new season of your life (relationships, old food, poor habits, etc) and start ANEW! New seasons allow for new reasons!
4. Gardening your FRUITS and VEGETABLES
- Some healthy eating tips during this time is to grow your own mini garden. The best time to grow fruits and veggies too! It can take a while to grow but as long as you keep an eye on them the process will be over sooner than you think. It sounds boring but it is healthy for you if you need to calm your mind, AND it is inexpensive! Some people make this a hobby and a way to tend to their self-care. You are in control and gardening puts you in charge. You;ll also end up with fresh fruits and vegetables for your smoothies, lunch, and dinner. Yummy right 🙂
- Some fruits and veggies to start with include:
www. fruitsandveggiesmorematter.org for more!
5. Take care of yourself! I think this is my my favorite tip of them all!
-Get a haircut
-Go on a nature walk
-Buy a new journal
-Go to the movies with your family
-Find a new hobby or start a hobby you’ve been thinking about for quite sometime
-Get involved at your local gym for physical activity tips
THIS IS YOUR SEASON!
I am excited for you guys to read this post! I can share with you what my favorite healthiest foods ! I eat healthy most of the time, but you all know we have our days where we splurge *wink*. I currently am a teacher so most of the days I have to pack my lunch. I usually buy my favorite healthiest foods weekly and that is typically on Sunday’s. My favorite foods will be listed from 1-10, with 1 being my top favorite and 10 being my low favorite! Check it out 🙂
- Chobani Greek Yogurt “Flip” (Key Lime Crumble and Slated Caramel Crunch): I eat one a day and I am not joking! This is the first thing I eat in the morning to get my day started. I use it as my protein nutrient. The Key Lime Crumble has 12 g of protein, 200 calories, Vegetarian friendly, non GMO, no article flavors or sweetness and it taste like REAL key lime pie! The Salted Caramel Crunch has 12g of protein, 190 calories, Vegetarian friendly, non- GMO, no artificial favors or sweeteners, and it is really crunchy!
- Sweet Potatoes: Omg this is my favorite food since I been a kid! My mom and grandma can actually prove it LOL. I eat sweet potatoes in so many forms. I can eat a whole baked sweet potato, sweet potato fries (cooked in the oven), and sweet potato casserole. It is so yummy and yet so healthy for you! It is an excellent complex carb that you can eat for breakfast or dinner. It gives you a bit of energy and can help with inflammation in the body.
- Yogi Green Tea SuperAntioxidant: I know this is a tea but it makes me feel so good so I am going to tell you guys about it! You can find these at fresh markets, whole food stores, grocery stores, and of course Walmart! Green tea is simply used to help you clean out your system. The title of the tea really fits its purpose. Yeah it has caffeine but way more healthier than coffee. It contains ingrediants like lemongrass, green tea leaf, jasmine green tea leaf, licorice root, and alfalfa leaf. These all help support digestion! I drink a cup every morning to start my day and I do not use sugar. Use raw honey! It is an all natural sweetener. Some say to drink a glass two hours before bedtime but I haven’t tried that yet. Try it and let me know how it goes!
- KIND Bar (Caramel Almod & Sea Salt): These are really tasty surprisingly! The caramel is sweet enough and it is so savoring! You wouldn’t believe it but they are very low in fat and has a good source of protein! You can never get enough of protein. It has 6g of protein and it contains ingredients you can read! You can find these at local grocery stores in the pharmacy and on some isles. These are also sold in places like Starbucks, Smoothie King, etc. There a ton of flavors and sub-brands, but that particular kind bar is my favorite!
- Power Crunch Original French Vanilla Crème Protein Bar: Okay so I know some of you have a hard time finding a good tasting protein bar. Well you are going to love this one if you try it! You can’t even taste the protein in it. It also doesn’t have chocolate and peanut butter because it seems like most protein bars have those flavors in it. The bar can literally replace your protein nutrient for your daily dose. It reminds you of a wafer. I usually do it before a workout because it helps you get up some energy for your gym performance. It has 14g of protein and ONLY 5g of sugar. Try one before or after your workout and share how it goes!
- Salmon: I love salmonnnnnn! But I ONLY eat it if it is wild caught salmon. I get it cut from the grocery store and it is even better if you go to a local fish market! You will know its wild caught because it is a bit more pink when its cooked than other fish. Salmon is rich in protein and the healthiest nutritious food fish you can eat. It helps build muscle because of the protein and it is great for an antioxidant.
- Apples and Soy Butter: This is such a a fulfilling meal! You have a protein and a complex carb. I know you’re thinking like why can’t I use regular peanut butter? You can but soy butter has better nutrients and it is free of gluten and dairy. It is also made for people who have nut allergies. It taste just like regular peanut butter! I usually cut my apple slices and then dip it in the soy butter. This can actually be replaced as a meal or as a mid day snack to hold you until dinner.
Next time I explain the health benefits of drinking plenty of water.I hope you all enjoyed my favorite healthiest foods reveal! I enjoyed sharing them. If you want to you can try them out and share your experiences below.
Stuck between eating and not eating? Or stuck between what to eat and when to eat? Do you prefer healthiest snacks to eat? Its so hard right? Here is an easy way to think about it. Most of the time you can eat what you want it is just the timing of it! Well most of the time you need lots and lots of energy in the morning to get your day started. This should be easy because this is where you can eat the most carbohydrates and eat high protein foods! Breakfast is the biggest meal you NEED! It will help you get through a long day. Let me just give you guys a rundown of how I eat during the day!
1 piece of fruit for ENERGY or a vegetable (I prefer a vegetable it fills me up a bit more)
1 Greek yogurt (protein)
Boiled egg or two sausage links or patties (I like to alternate between the two) (protein)
(wait 2 to 2.5 hours for a snack) which can be another piece of fruit if you’d like
Protein (most of the time it is meat for lunch) or salad with a light vinaigrette dressing or oil and vinegar
Complex carbohydrate (vegetables, sweet potatoes, or a piece of fruit here but I prefer vegetables AGAIN)
(wait 2 to 2.5 hours for a snack) This snack will be your energy source before your workout! Such as hummus and pretzels, cottage cheese and fruit, or trail mix.
Gym Time 🙂
After gym: Protein bar or a greek yogurt
If it before 7pm you can have a protein and carbohydrates but if it is after 8pm than all you need is protein especially if you did not consume enough during the day or too many carbs during the day! Make sure you eat at least 100g of protein ONLY if you are physically active. The average sedentary man or woman eats less protein because they are not working it off in a gym or participating in physical activity. If you eat carbs or too much protein that contain lots of energy is just sitting on you while you’re sleeping and then it turns into fat! Usually when you’re home at night you are not doing enough to burn that fat so it is best if you eat light at night. Protein will help you feel full just watch your intake.
Try this and please comment below if you notice any change in your energy level, inches on your body, or your workout in the gym!
LOVE WHAT YOU DO. DO WHAT YOU LOVE.
Wanting to get rid of abnormal lab results from your physician?
Well it is quite simple in a way! Change your diet, not even completely but enough so that you’ll see change. I just did a yearly wellness check-up and I received great results from my labs. This is always good right? Well last year I was on the low end of becoming anemic, and now I am not even close! I doubled up on vegetables to increase my iron levels. I am pretty sure most of you are anemic and don’ t know why. You may experience symptoms like coldness, being light-headed, feeling tired and weak during exercise, etc. Well that iron deficiency can be a total come around for you! Begin with always including a healthy eating tips vegetable in your meals. Make sure it is those leafy green vegetables like spinach, arugula, collard green, mustard greens, dark Romaine lettuce, swiss chard, and kale! Now I know what you’re thinking.. you’re thinking like I don’t like vegetables at all. Well there is always other foods that help your iron such as dark red meets such as beef. You can also include more seafood in your diet as well to remove this abnormal lab results from your health journey!
LOVE WHAT YOU DO. DO WHAT YOU LOVE
It took me over a year in order to see results but it is a yearly exam, so my progress could of made changes much earlier than a year. Use your clothes as a way to measure your progress. Sometimes the scale can be misleading and it can be a bit intimidating when going through changes within the body. Please comment below on your experiences with your yearly exams and abnormal lab results.
I look forward to it!