Hey hey hey everyone!
I am back with something else for you! I’m out here just giving you all this information about healthy foods, and you’re probably like why do I need to know all of this? I am going to be completely honest with you and no I am not trying to sell you anything! I just simply want you all to be healthy and happy individuals. I’m not sure if you heard the saying but “If you’re healthy, you’re happy” and “If you’re happy you’re healthy.” Well the reason why you need all of the healthy stuff like organic foods, gluten free recipes, and fresh fruits and vegetables is because you need essential nutrients for your body to survive. This is no joke, EVERY human body needs sufficient fuel to work and this comes from essential nutrients. I am not a doctor or nutritionist (future nutritionist though, give me about 4 years), but I know that the body cannot survive off of any lacking vitamin, mineral, or amino acid it needs. Now when you are buying those fresh fruits and vegetables, grains, protein, healthy fats, and complex carbs I bet you don’t even think bout what essential nutrient it contains. I think no one thinks like that, all we know is that it is healthy for the body and healthy for us to eat rather than processed foods. It took me a while to know that there are benefits of essential nutrients. The benefits of digesting vitamins, minerals, and amino acids to the body are very important because it can mainly only be done through food. That is how the body heals and how the body lets you go to work, to school, to the gym, to a game, or even to sleep. Food food food food does it all.
Some benefits of essential nutrients include:
- ENERGY! Boy do we need energy, instead of coffee pick up an orange or fruit to help you stay awake.
- Building body tissue
- Blood flow through the body and glucose levels
- Development and growth
- Hair, skin, and nails improvement
- Prevent birth defects
- Prevent chronic and communicable diseases
- Build strong bones
Those are just to name a few. There are plenty more benefits of essential nutrients for the body. Next I am going to give you some examples of foods so you can see what kind of vitamins, fatty acids, amino acids, and minerals it gives the body. This could be a range of fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains, fish, meat, eggs, nuts, legumes, dairy, etc.
- Vitamin A (Helps with immunity and vision) = Sweet potatoes, spinach, eggs, fish
- Vitamin B6 (Helps with hemoglobin and sugar levels) = Fish, beef, poultry
- Calcium (Helps with teeth and bones, and hormone secretion) = Dark leafy greens and plain low fat yogurt
- Vitamin C (Helps with protein metabolism) = Oranges, kiwi, broccoli, brussel sprouts
- Vitamin D (Bone growth and reduction of inflammation) = Milk, breakfast cereals, and yogurt
- Iron (Helps with hemoglobin)= Chicken liver, lentils, and beans
- Folate (You may hear folic acid too, helps pregnant women to prevent birth defects)= breads, cereals, grains
Once again, the benefits of essential nutrients sound amazing right? Also if you think you aren’t receiving enough of those vitamins and/or minerals then you can find a supplement. Remember supplements aren’t there to replace foods, they are there to help you reach a standard level it is not going to give you more than what your body needs. That is why the benefits of essential nutrients are important for you to know because you will spend less money buying those meats, fruits and vegetables rather than buying the supplement. The body needs it! When you go to your annual check-up most of these are tested! You do not want to experience your doctor giving you a prescription or giving you the speech about how important it is to eat those nutrients. The healthiest way to gain essential nutrients are through food.
For more information, please visit: MacMillan, Amanda. (March 2016). Health. The Best Foods for Every Vitamin and Mineral. Retrieved from http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20660118,00.html